Sunday, April 20, 2008

Reissues: Interviews, Reviews and More

A few reissues-related links today:

» Billboard interview with Tommy and Paul. Despite the discouraging title of the article - "The Replacements opt for reissues over reunion", the interview itself doesn't completely rule out the possibility:

YOU'VE REUNITED TWICE IN THE STUDIO IN RECENT YEARS. YOU'VE SURELY RECEIVED A SIZABLE OFFER OR TWO FROM THE PRODUCERS OF COACHELLA, SO...

Stinson: We actually talked about it again this year, and I think there was a consensus that, you know, maybe it wasn't the right time (to reunite), or maybe it is the right time. Paul and I were kind of in cahoots talking to them, talking to (his manager) Darren (Hill). There were some things thrown out, and there were other festivals that wanted it too, if we were going to do it. At the last minute, it just didn't seem like the right thing to do, so we didn't do it. But I think Paul and I have something to offer each other still. I think that's pretty obvious when we get together.

Westerberg: I'm very hesitant about dragging the name out there and what damage we could do to the legend. Whatever we did, someone would want something else. If I went up there straight, they'd want us wasted. If we were f--ked up, they'd want us to be this or that. But, I don't know. The records hold the key to the whole thing. So if I was ever going to play, I'd like to play once the whole shooting match is out, because I don't think I could physically get up there and bellow these 18 songs (from) that first record. That's just sheer youth there. I can't find that in a bottle or a pill. I'm just too creaky for that.

» Before VH1 became Celeb-Reality TV, (not complaining here, I will be glued to my TV for the "Rock of Love II" reunion/steel cage match tonight), they were actually a music channel. I know! And thusly, they've posted a "10 Great Songs by The Replacements" feature on their web site. Their picks are from the first 4 discs being reissued and are accompanied by some vintage Mats photos.

» Rolling Stone posted a review of the "Let It Be" reissue, giving it 4 stars. Oddly, in an earlier review, the original issue was awarded 5 stars. So according to Rolling Stone, the addition of the new tracks caused a 20% drop in quality. Uhm....ok.

» Nj.com glowingly reviewed the reissues, focusing on "Let It Be". "Rhino's remastered, expanded reissues of the Replacements' catalog should help carry their legacy further, while also being a godsend to fans pining for lost songs and better sound. Rhino has revamped the first four indie Replacements albums, with their four major-label releases to follow this fall."

» Meant to post this link awhile back. Carrie Brownstein (Sleater-Kinney) posted her favorite Westerberg lyrics on her NPR blog. Some great choices (including one of my all-time favorites, "If bein' afraid is a crime, we hang side by side".

No comments: